WHAT IS SQUINT (STRABISMUS)?
Squint or Strabismus is a condition when one eye turns or wanders in such a way that it does not work in alignment with the other eye. Normally, when we look at an object our eyes point and focus in the same direction. But, if a child has Squint, one eye may focus in one direction, while the other eye turns either inwards, outwards, upwards or downwards. Squints may also cause double vision or lazy eye (Amblyopia). Though Squints can develop at any age, they are more commonly seen in kids and the presence of Squint means that the child’s eyes will lose its ability to work together and to achieve the 3-D vision.
WHAT CAUSES SQUINT IN CHILDREN?
The connection and coordination between the eyes and brain that causes visual pathway usually build up as the child grows. And, this development generally takes place until the tender age of 8 years. So, when the eye muscles fail to work in a balanced or coordinated way, it causes Squint.
SQUINT IS GENERALLY CAUSED DUE TO:
- Refractive Errors: Refractive errors like short-sightedness, long-sightedness and Astigmatism can be a common cause of Squint.
- Family History: Some Squints are a result of genetic make-up. If a parent has/had a Squint, there are more chances for the child to have this condition.
- Premature Childbirth: Children born before 32 weeks may be at the risk of developing Squint.
- Eye Problems: Certain eye problems such as congenital cataract or retinal damage can also lead to Squint.
SQUINT IS COMMONLY CATEGORIZED AS LISTED BELOW:
- Constant squint: When Squint is prominent and is visible all the time
- Intermittent squint: When the squint condition of eyes is not visible all the time
- Infantile squint: When Squint is noticed during the initial one year after birth.
- Acquired Squint: When Squint develops at later stages in a child
- Esotropia: When the eye turns inwards towards the nose.
- Exotropia: When the eye turns outwards.
- Hypertropia: When the eye turns upwards.
- Hypotropia: When the eye turns downwards.
If Squint is not diagnosed or treated during the early years, then it can cause a permanent defect. Therefore, it is advisable to get your child’s comprehensive eye check-up done, annually especially before enrolling the child in a school.
TREATMENT AND SURGERY TO RECTIFY SQUINT
Squint in the early years can be easily treated. Depending on the type of Squint, often a combination of treatments may be recommended to get the desired result. Some of the common and hassle-free ways to treat Squint may include:
- Glasses: Most children with Squint may be prescribed glasses based on their power. It’s important for such children to wear glasses all the time as it enhances their vision and allow them to focus without any difficulty.
- Exercises: Few exercises help to strengthen the eye’s ability to work in coordination. This treatment is usually used together with glasses and/or surgery.
- Surgery: Depending on the type of Squint, children may require corrective surgery. Squint Surgery is usually performed under general anesthesia and it does not require any hospital stay.
- Occlusion Therapy or Patching: This treatment helps to improve vision especially in an individual with the Lazy Eye. During occlusion therapy, a child’s normal eye is covered with a patch, due to which he/she is forced to use his/her weaker eye to see things and perform activities. This therapy helps to develop the visual pathway between the weak eye and the brain.
The operation usually weakens or strengthens the muscles of the eye so that both the eyes are better aligned. Though Squint surgery can be performed at any age; it is more effective if performed during earlier years of human eye. In the juvenile and adults the operation is carried out more for cosmetic purposes. It usually takes several weeks to fully recover from corrective Squint Surgery.
WHY CHOOSE SHARP SIGHT HOSPITAL FOR YOUR CHILD’S SQUINT TREATMENT?
At Sharp Sight Eye Hospitals we offer the most advanced Squint eye treatment with the latest modality- Microscope assisted surgery which is hassle-free, convenient and a daycare procedure. Our team of pediatric ophthalmologists, offer world-class treatment for squint eye surgery in India. We offer cost-effective squint eye care services with the promise of better visual outcomes.To get qualified advice on Squint by our specialist in Delhi or to find out our cost of Squint surgery in Delhi, contact us.